Friday, February 27, 2009

MHR #12 - Digging Out

They wouldn't call it the snowstorm of the century, but we still got 4 inches of heavy snow on Thursday. I pulled up into the driveway after work and I could see that Jason had shoveled the driveway. Jason didn't answer my "Honey, I'm home!" call when I stepped into the house entryway. I knew he had to leave in 20 minutes for his soccer game, so I wondered what was up. He wasn't in the house or the garage. I walked out onto the driveway, only to see Jason was working on the neighbor's driveway. I had driven right past the neighbor's house and didn't even see Jason through the blustery wind and swirling snow.

Our neighbors are the kind of parental neighbors every neighborhood should have. Not the meddling kind. The kind that are interested and want to watch out for you. They've had a tough year, with the husband having some health issues.

I got my boots out and went over to help finish shoveling their driveway. Yeah, it was still snowing out...but we like to think we got a head start on digging out. We finished it together so Jason could head out to his game.

An extra inch or two came over night, leaving more shoveling to do. Where was Jason as I was pulling out of the driveway for work on Friday? Shoveling the neighbor's driveway, right after he finished ours.

We enjoy our neighbors. We want to be the same kind neighborly kindess that we see our parents have with their neighbors. I don't call Bob and Fran as often as I should. I forget to look up and wave as a car passes by. Sometimes I'm too concerned about meddling, than just making the first neighborly move. I think of great ideas to reach out to the neighbors in the middle of the night, but can never seem to remember them when I'm just being lazy and have the time to actually do something.

But I'm glad Jason is my husband and we're in this together, because he reminds me and little by little, maybe we'll follow through. I'm glad he cares about others. Jason helps me be a little less selfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment