Friday, January 2, 2009

In the beginning

It is my desire to make the most of my days on earth that has inspired me to take the challenge of creating a "101 Things in 1001 days" list. With my recent graduation in December 2008, I have been bombarded with thoughts, ideas, and visions of how I could spend my new freedom from homework and papers.

After a few weeks of envisioning - "I can do this, I can do that..." - I stumbled across
Day Zero, "a unique meme that challenges and inspires you to set and complete realistic goals in life". It helped me reign in these ideas that are near to my heart. It goes a little like this (taken straight from the Day Zero site):

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part). Why 1001 Days? Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips:

1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focussed. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.

That being said, this is the beginning of the rest of my 1001 days (Lord-willing). Consider it a journal of my reflections as I aim to nurture my relationships, keep my body healthy, enjoy activities, make my home, grow my faith, and help my community. I am sheepish and humbled to even ask that my friends, family and acquaintances would walk alongside me in this fun journey. But I am bold to ask if you would consider making your own 101 things list so I can walk alongside you in your journey!

I begin this with a lound "Cheers!" to all that could (and hopefully, should) happen in the next 1,001 days!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! This is so awesome!!! I am so proud of you and admire your dedication. What a fun 1001 days you have planned! I am totally there for you let me know if there is anything I can do to support you on this!!
    Love Ya!! Jen

    ReplyDelete